Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) has now become an integral part in the treatment of hematological malignancy. However, the conditioning regimen including intensive chemotherapy and total body irradiation causes severe mucositis, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, which results in the insufficient oral intake. Hence, parenteral nutrition is frequently required to keep the caloric intake. In these situations, the professional intervention by nutritional support team (NST) is indispensable. However, the management strategy of nutritional support in the field of HSCT has not been well established due to the scarcity of clinical trials. Our HSCT team at National Cancer Center Hospital in Japan has conducted several retrospective and prospective studies, and has published the results. We believe that these interventions by NST are quite promising to improve the clinical outcomes after HSCT, especially reducing the morbidity such as infectious diseases. As a next step, the beneficial effects should be clarified with international large-scale prospective clinical trials. To conduct the international clinical trials, we would like to know the current standard of nutritional support as well as other frequently applied maneuvers for the prophylaxis and treatment of infectious diseases and graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). Additionally, we would like to know what kinds of nutritional support our colleagues are interested in. To address these critical questions, we have made the following questionnaire.
Minutes of Nutrition Support Working Group Meetings are available here Click on the following links to download.
Note: Access to the document links within the Minutes pages is restricted to members only and requires a password.
Minutes of the Nutrition Support Working Group - Oct 2010
Minutes of the Nutrition Support Working Group - Oct 2011
- Current Status of Ongoing Clinical Trials of Nutrition Support in Japan
- A retrospective study assessing the prevalence of malnutrition and its impact on the clinical outcome after allo HSCT
- Proposal of Clinical Trial
Minutes of the Nutrition Support Working Group - Nov 2013
- The Nutritional Management of a De-conditioned patient, with Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease and
Late Disease Relapse following Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant.
- A retrospective study assessing the prevalence of malnutrition and its impact on the clinical outcome after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation An APBMT WG Nutrition Support-proposed study
- Retrospective Study which Assessed the Association between Documented Infection and Use of Intravenous Fat Emulsion after Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
Chairman: Sung-Won Kim (Japan)
Secretary: Shigeo Fuji (Japan)
|Sung-Won Kim||Japan||National Cancer Center Hospital|
|Shigeo Fuji||Japan||National Cancer Center Hospital|
|Young Rok Do||Korea||Dongsan Medical Center, Keimyung University|
|Takehiko Mori||Japan||Keio University|
|Navinn Khattry||India||Tata Memorial Hospital|
|Kimikazu Yakushijinn||Japan||Kobe University|